Indiana Insurance Requirements.

Provider #79244

View Available Courses Here

Continuing Education Requirements

This information is intended to provide answers to commonly asked questions by insurance agents. It is not intended to replace detailed information found in your state’s statutes and regulations. Though we have made reasonable efforts to ensure that the information given is reliable and current, we cannot guarantee that it is. For more information please contact your state insurance department. See contact information below.

Hours Required

• Resident Insurance Producers and Adjusters licensed must complete 24 hours of continuing education every 2 years.

Renewals for all Resident Producers licensed with Life, Health, Variable Life & Annuity, and Life, Accident & Health lines of authority must have three (3) hours of CE in Ethics. This requirement is part of the twenty-four (24) hours of CE requirement.  The ethics requirement must be related to ethical practices in the marketing and sale of life, health, or annuity insurance products.

Title Producers in Indiana need seven (7) Title credits every two years to renew.

An attorney holding a Title License may complete all or any of the required hours in continuing legal education courses related to the business of title insurance or any aspect of real property law. This will need to be submitted to the state upon renewal.

An Independent adjuster can take a Property & Casualty CE course to fulfill their CE requirement.

An insurance producer with qualifications in more than one line of authority will not be required to complete more than 24 hours credit to renew the license. IC 27-1-15.7-2(a) and (e).

Compliance Date

Licenses renew biennially on the last day of the birth month. 

Approved Course Delivery Methods

• Independent self-study online or written courses (passing grade of 70% required on final exam)
• Classroom
• Interactive Online
• Seminar

Exam Requirements

Self-study exams require a licensed agent to monitor the exam.

Course Subject Requirements

ETHICS -  Renewals for resident insurance producers licensed with Life, Health, Variable Life & Annuity, and Life, Accident & Health lines of authority must have three (3) hours of CE in Ethics. This requirement is part of the twenty-four (24) hours CE Requirement.

Long Term Care Agent Training Requirements - Indiana does not have a separate LTC license. Producers must hold either an Accident & Health or Life, Accident & Health license to sell LTC insurance.

Before marketing, selling or soliciting any LTC products, all producers must initially complete an 8 hour basic LTC continuing education course specifically approved for LTC. The course may be classroom or self study. Then the producer must take a minimum of 5 hours of LTC insurance courses every 2 years thereafter.

Indiana Long Term Care Partnership Program (ILTCP) - Agents wanting to market policies in the ILTCP must initially have 15 hours of CE (8 hours of basic LTC and 7 hours in Partnership) before marketing, selling, or soliciting Partnership policies. The 7 hour ILTCP course is a one-time-only requirement and is classroom only.

**NOTE** Nonresident producers are exempt from the regular long –term care requirement, BUT they are not exempt from the Indiana Partnership Long-Term Care Program (ILTCP) requirement.

Flood Training Requirement - All Property and Casualty Insurance Producers who sell, solicit, or negotiate flood insurance policies must complete a one - time 3 Credit Hours of Flood insurance training.

Annuity Training Requirement: Producers who sell, solicit, or negotiate variable life and annuity products who have the variable life and annuity qualifications on their license must complete the four hour training requirement. 

According to Bulletin 218: The Indiana Department's interpretation of the laws regarding Annuity and Variable Life & Annuity Producer Licensing; the business entity's designated responsible licensed producer must be registered with FINRA as no registration exemption exists for individuals unlike Business Entities.  Any questions regarding Bulletin 218 should be directed to the Indiana Department's Producer Licensing Division at (317) 232-0688 or

Carryover Credits

Carryover credits are not allowed.

Course Repetition

Courses may not be repeated within the same renewal period.


• A limited lines producer who is licensed without examination under IC27-1-15.6-18(1) or IC27-1-15.6-18(2).
• A limited lines credit insurance producer.
• Non-residents are exempt if the agent meets their home state CE requirement, and a producer database print out indicates resident compliance is submitted to Indiana Department of Insurance.

Credit Reporting

Cape will submit your credit hours to Sircon within 14 calendar days of the completion of the course. DO NOT SEND course completion certificates to Sircon, they are provided for your personal records only.

Contact Information:

If you have any questions regarding renewal or credits, please contact:

Indiana Department of Insurance
311 W. Washington St., Suite 300
Indianapolis, IN 46204-2787
(317) 232-2385  

Contact Cape:

Cape School, Inc.
P.O. Box 169
Buckingham, VA 23921

Phone: 800-729-7363
Fax: 888-303-1828
Or email us below

View Available Courses Here

Have Questions? Call us at # 800-729-7363 or reach us by email at