Hello, Wisconsin Insurance.
This information is intended to provide answers to commonly asked questions by insurance agents. It is not intended to replace detailed information found in your state’s statutes and regulations. Though we have made reasonable efforts to ensure that the information given is reliable and current, we cannot guarantee that it is. For more information please contact your state insurance department. See contact information below.
Compliance Date and Hours Required
Licensed insurance agents who are required to meet continuing education requirements must earn 24 credit hours every 2 years.
Continuing education compliance must be met before a licensee is able to physically renew their license. It is imperative that you do not wait until the last few weeks of your reporting period to complete your continuing education for the biennium.
The renewal fees to be paid by each licensed individual intermediary-agent are: $35 for resident agents and $70 for nonresident agents.Failure to pay the renewal fee on or before the last day of the intermediary’s birth month will result in the license cancellation and termination of active appointment(s). License Renewal Intermediaries must renew their license online either by credit card, debit card or electronic check. Intermediaries have the following three options to make their renewal payment on Sircon at www.sircon.com, NIPR at www.nipr.com, or OCI at oci.wi.gov. Due to a three- to fiveday time delay in posting the transaction with OCI and NIPR, intermediaries making payments within five days of their license expiration date are required to use Sircon to avoid delays or license cancellation.
Questions regarding license renewal can be directed to the Agent Licensing Section at (608) 266-8699 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
Approved Course Delivery Methods
• Written and Online Self Study
• Interactive Online
Final exams must be taken in the presence of an impartial disinterested third party or a currently licensed agent with no family or financial relationship to the student. The proctor must verify the agent's identity and complete an affidavit testifying that the agent received no outside assistance.
Course Subject Requirements
• 3 hours in ethics must be completed during their compliance period. The remaining credits can be in whichever line of authority the agent chooses.
• All licensed resident insurance producers who sell federal flood insurance policies are required to complete a one-time 3-credit course in flood.
• Producers who sell, solicit or negotiate Long Term Care insurance must be licensed for Accident and Health or Sickness or Life, and must complete a one-time 8-hour training course. In addition to the one-time training course, producers who sell LTC insurance must complete no less than 4 hours of ongoing LTC training every 24 months.
Licensed Life Insurance Agents who sell annuities must complete a one time four credit general annuity training course.
Carryover of excess credits is not permitted.
Credit will not be given for a course taken more than once within the same reporting period.
• Wisconsin resident agents who hold an exclusive limited line insurance license for credit, legal expense, and title insurance are not required to take the continuing education courses.
• Non-resident agents are not required to meet Wisconsin's continuing education requirement. All states currently have continuing education requirements in place. Wisconsin received license compliance data electronically; therefore, non-residents are not required to supply OCI with evidence of completing continuing education in their home state.
Cape will report credits to SBS within 10 days of course completion. Agents will not be responsible for filing their completion certificates with SBS. Agents should maintain their course completion certificates in the event that a discrepancy occurs.
Agents can obtain a copy of the most current CE transcript on SBS. Agents will no longer have to keep track of multiple license numbers. The SBS system will allow for multiple license types under the same National Producer Number. Agents will be able to view their records by using the SBS "Licensee Lookup" tool.
OCI will transition to e-mail notifications as the primary communidcation method relating to renewal notices, continuing education requirements and any other notice previoulsly sent via first class mail. The transition to e-mail communication is part of an OCI-wide initiative to streamline business processes. Agents must maintain a current e-mail address. To verify and or change your contact information, please visit: http://www.nipr.com/ccr_announcements. htm
If you have any questions regarding renewal or credits, please contact:
Prometric (866) 664-9505
Wisconsin Office of the Insurance Commissioner
Agent Licensing Section
P.O. Box 7872
Madison, WI 53707-7872
Cape School, Inc.
P.O. Box 169
Buckingham, VA 23921
Or email us at the left
• Knowledgeable Instructors
• No Final Exam
• Variety of Topics
• No Exam
• Live Classes on your Computer
• Participate from Anywhere with Internet
• Convenient, Easy, and Affordable
• Online and Textbook Courses
• Take Courses on your Schedule
• Variety of Topics