District of Columbia Insurance Requirements.
This information is intended to provide answers to commonly asked questions by insurance agents. It is not intended to replace detailed information found in your state’s statutes and regulations. Though we have made reasonable efforts to ensure that the information given is reliable and current, we cannot guarantee that it is. For more information please contact your state insurance department. See contact information below.
• 24 hours, biennially, inclusive of at least three credit hours in ethics, for all agents except those licensed in limited lines.
*Please note that excess Ethics credits over the required 3 hours will not roll over to general credits. Any extra ethics credits will not be counted as part of the 21 General credits needed for compliance.
Last day of the birth month biennially.
Please complete CE requirement at least 15 business days prior to the expiration of the DC Producers' Insurance License in order to qualify for license renewal. Failure to do so may result in the expiration of the license.
Approved Course Delivery Methods
• Independent self-study online or written courses (passing grade of 70% required on final exam)
• Interactive Online
A disinterested 3rd party must proctor all exams. (i.e. someone with no business or family relationship to the student). The student must receive a score of 70% or better to earn course credit.
Course Subject Requirements
• For those who hold only one license type all hours must be taken in the line held.
• For those who hold a dual license, a minimum of 6 hours in each line of insurance must be taken.
• LH and PC agents must complete 3 credit hours in ethics.
• Agents who may sell flood insurance must complete a one time 3 credit hour course in NFIP/Flood.
Resident Title Insurance Producer - 16 hours of continuing education (CG Title) credits.
Resident Title Insurance Attorney - 8 hours of continuing education (CG Title) credits.
May 2014 - DC notified Providers that they are implementing the amendment to the Title Law which requires nonresident title producers to obtain 4 hours of DC Specific CE Credits. Once completed the DC Title Non Resident can fax their certificate for compliance credit to DC at 202-354-1084.
Effective June 24, 2011, DC producers who sell annuities must complete two training components:
• Product-specific training provided by the annuity manufacturer
• A four-hour annuity continuing education (CE) course.
Carryover of credit is not allowed.
Credit will not be given for courses taken more than once in each biennial reporting period.
Nonresident producers are not required to complete the District of Columbia CE requirements as long as the producer is in good standing with his or her home state.
All non-resident title producers must complete four hours of continuing education prior to the expiration date of their license
Cape will report credits within 48 hours of course completion documentation being received. A course completion certificate will be issued for each course successfully finished for the agent’s records.
If you have any questions regarding renewal or credits, please contact:
Department of Insurance and Securities Regulation for District of Columbia
810 First Street, N.E.
Washington, DC 20002
Cape School, Inc.
P.O. Box 169
Buckingham, VA 23921
Or email us below