Iowa Insurance Requirements.
This information is intended to provide answers to commonly asked questions by insurance agents. It is not intended to replace detailed information found in your state’s statutes and regulations. Though we have made reasonable efforts to ensure that the information given is reliable and current, we cannot guarantee that it is. For more information please contact your state insurance department. See contact information below.
36 hours triennially
CE and license renewal must be completed prior to the expiration date on the license.
Approved Course Delivery Methods
• Classroom / Webinar
• Online and written self-study courses (only 18 credit hours of the total requirement may be met through self-study)
• Interactive Online (only 18 credit hours of the total requirement may be met through self-study)
Self-study final exams are required to be proctored. The Iowa Insurance Division defines proctored as the supervision by a CE provider or disinterested third party over the conduct of a producer while that producer is completing an examination that is part of a self-study CE course.
Course Subject Requirements
• Agents must complete three credit hours of ethics each triennium.
• Agents who sell federal flood insurance policies must complete a one-time 3 credit hour course in NFIP/Flood.
• Agents who sell fixed index life must complete a 4 credit one-time training course.
* All producers licensed to sell, solicit, and negotiate annuity products must complete a one-time annuity training course approved for at least 4 hours.
• Agents who sell Long Term Care Insurance must complete an 8 credit one-time training course, followed by a 4-hour training course every CE term.
Excess CE credit hours may not be carried over to the next reporting period.
Courses may not be taken more than once within the three-year period.
• Attorneys licensed to sell insurance may be exempted upon submission of proof that they have complied with a continuing legal education requirement
• Individuals who are on extended active duty with the U.S. Armed Forces.
• Individuals licensed only for credit insurance or crop insurance.
Cape will submit credit hours to the State Based Systems - Remember that the state requires credits be banked well in advance of the end of the month.
Excerpt from letter from Iowa Insurance Division to Education Providers
3 business days after the last of your credits are posted you should be able to renew through the online processing using NIPR http://www.nipr.com/ – it takes you directly to NIPR, see left side of the page, Resident, below that is Initial License and below that is the link you need to click on: “Renewals” and follow the prompts to complete the renewal process. IF YOUR LICENSE EXPIRES YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO PAY A $100.00 REINSTATEMENT FEE IN ADDITION TO THE $50.00 RENEWAL FEE.
“The Division will no longer mail a paper renewal reminder notice for a producer’s insurance license. On or about the date 60 days before your license expiration date an email message will be sent reminding you of the online renewal process and will include an update as to whether or not your license CE Course Completion credits satisfy the requirements at that time. If you would like to continue to receive a reminder of your license expiration, please send your email address changes to firstname.lastname@example.org.”.
If you have any questions regarding renewal or credits, please contact:
Iowa Insurance Division
Department of Commerce
330 Maple Street
Des Moines, IA 50319-0065
Cape School, Inc.
P.O. Box 169
Buckingham, VA 23921